Saturday, December 20, 2008

Things that make you go... oh.

You've been there: I know.

I was working on this series of lessons on crystal formation with the class for about two weeks. It'd taken me about twice as long to actually plan the lessons out, so I was mentally engaged for about six weeks.

We studied crystals in Science, and then unsuccessfully made sugar and salt solutions for crystals. Two weeks later, I still do not have the crystals. I think my proportions may have been wrong, but I'm giving them more time over Christmas break to form. At least that's my hope. They may end up being more green with mold than sparkly when we return. I'm tempted to run out and buy rock candy... but I am resisting. I want to have an authentic learning experience for them.

Thank goodness for Twenty Mule Team Borax. We made SUPER crystals out of that and hot water in an overnight soak. You ought google it and try it out with your classes.

Anyway, so my hidden little 'secret' was that I was going to give the class 'snowflake' ornaments for a Christmas gift. I had gotten them on clearance last year and I just wanted it to be a cute, fun surprise. I had shared giggles about this with a parent and two teachers and felt confident it was going to go over BIG. Really HUGE.

The last week of school I gave a firm, serious lecture on the formation of crystals from Isopropyl Alcohol (to sound fancy and I knew the three drops would dry up quickly) and a special iridescent glitter. Oooo. We were excited. We liked the success of the Borax and we were looking forward to creating more crystals (unlike the weak sugar or salt solutions). I had thought I had made it 'obvious' enough because part of my recipe's instructions were to blow into a plastic bag and wish for "peace" during the holiday season. In fact, when students questioned me, I replied, hey I tried it without the word "peace" over the weekend, and it didn't work so "peace" was required. (Snort.)

The following morning, with the help of three angelic parents who were in on the secret, their plastic bags were stuffed with the ornaments. The rubbing alcohol had dried up, the ornaments had glitter on them, so my additonal glitter was NOT a big deal. In fact, I thought, it made a nice little sparkle-puff when the bag was opened.

The students opened their bags... and there... was... a big... nothing. Blink. Blink.

"It didn't work".

"Yes, it did."

The students looked at each other.

One student chuckled. "It's made in China. We made crystals all the way from China!" Her little giggle permitted others to smile.

"It didn't work Mrs. Austin". One other student, Disappointed, insisted and frowned slightly.
"Yes, it did."
"But ..." She pulled out her ornament and showed me the packaging. "It has cardboard."
I paused for a moment, staring deeply into her liquid, doe-eyes. Helloooo? I mentally said to her. Aloud, I repeated. "It worked. It did." I leaned forward. "Even the cardboard grew out of the solution. " I paused for effect. Then I whispered, "You have to believe."
"Oh." A light glimmered across her face. "Oh." She smiled.

All that work. Six weeks. I get an "Oh".

Oh... oh, well.

No comments: