Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Missing a Test? Problem or Opportunity? Part 2

Now there are other weird cases of missing tests. Here are a few, and what I've seen as solutions.

Case 1. The student has lost the test.
I've met students who couldn't keep their shirt on frontwards. It happens. The tests are collected. I cound the tests. John's test is missing. I ask him about it. He fumbles around in his over stuffed backpack. He starts disassembling his desk, heavily strewn with various books, papers from last year and today's lunch. In this case, I look into his bespectacled, foggy eyes and gently say, "Let's schedule a retake. Tomorrow.".

Case 2. The student has possibly deliberately lost the test.
This student is struggling in my class. She offers the chance to make up the test, "tomorrow". I pull out an extra test. I hand it to her. I say, "Today. I know you've been studying all weekend. I don't want to put you under more stress." I direct her to the library, with a note to the librarian that this student must turn in their test to her, and that this student already has lost a test in my classroom.

Case 3. The student has taken the test home. On accident.
I didn't count all my tests back. Perhaps the bell has rung and everyone is anxious to leave. He returns the next school day with the test, a bit sheep-faced, "Here is my test." I graciously accept the test and quietly explain, under the circumstances, the test is marked a "zero". I offer an opportunity to take an alternate, make-up test the very next day. In some cases, as in a quiz - because I usually have a large number of quizzes upon which the grade is based - , I do not offer the make up quiz but console myself it's a lesson learned for both of us.

Caes 4. The student has taken the test home. On purpose?
It's hard to say if it was on purpose or not, even if the student is struggling. In the case of the "in the classroom", it's slightly more plausible to believe that the student may be hiding their test somewhere. Unless of course your classroom has a test vortex, and students sometimes trip over it on their way to turn in their test. However, whether or not the student is trustwortthy cannot be taken into account when the test goes home because, I think, it's hard to attribute forgetfulness or sneakiness in an instance where you, the teacher, aren't in control of the environment. It could have gone out the door, been lost on the playyard, the bus, the park, at home, at a neighbor's, at a parent's.... too many options. Yes, it could have been lost.
In the classrom, between their desk and my desk? No way.
In this case, I offer a make up as if it was case 1.

My mother in law (a retired educator) has advised me to grade the students at least once a week. If you are doing that, you give yourself sufficient flexibility to drop or excuse a missing test or quiz once in awhile without greatly affecting a student's grade. More validation for the Friday test day!

Happy teaching.

No comments: