Sunday, July 6, 2008

Power Teaching, Oh Yeah!

I found this amazing series of free videos and free to very low-cost instructional materials by a trio of Southern California teachers, namely, Chris Biffle, professor of philosophy at Crafton Hills College, 3rd grade teacher Jay Vanderfin, and Chris Rekstad, 4th grade teacher. They founded an organization Power Teachers which supports their ideals of peaceful classroom filled with engaged students. I have viewed their videos on You Tube and am so impressed with their style, which is easily adaptable to all grade levels. I sincerely believe it fulfills the needs of our students today, who, more than ever, desire engaging, entertaining and interactive learning. The Power Teaching method is a simple approach that includes guided student responses and routines.

Sixth grade students love to imitate me. I am a highly expressive and gesture heavy teacher. If I'd wave to emphasize a point, fairly soon, three or four students would wave at each other or at me. I liked the response of the students but I didn't know how to control it. Well, I really didn't know keep their responses from knocking me off my teaching path. Actually, control isn't really the goal. Learning is. I knew there was something "there" and that "something" could be utilized, but I didn't know how. I once designed a lesson around cue cards, where I planted students in my "audience" to spout out responses at key times. It was mildly amusing but didn't quite produce the whole class engagement that Power Teaching does. I also asked for students to repeat after me, but after a time, it became dull, and the minimal responses eventually killed its use.

Power Teaching is really child centered education.

Power Teaching takes that 'something', the natural energy of students and channels it into an engaged, productive way. Students in the video clearly feel a part of something and are not bored. Boredom, as many of us already know, is the seed of disruption. When students are engaged in the lessons, I can clearly see where the classroom discipline would improve.

Using gestures, fun games and guided responses, students stay centered and on-task. This has so many obvious benefits for all students, but especially for those students who need extra stimulation or cues.

The materials are free or so very low cost you should almost donate double to support their organization. Do yourself and your students a favor: check out Power Teaching and support these teachers who clearly understand today's students and their learning needs.

1 comment:

Smarticus said...

Great post on Power Teaching. So far more than 4,000 teachers have taken the training in California, and are literally using it from Kindergarten to college level.

I am a middle school teacher, and a Power Teacher Trainer, first on the East Coast.

website classroompower.com, is all about helping teachers become Power Teachers. Stop by and say hello.