Tuesday, July 15, 2008

July is Hot for Teaching

But not too hot for planning. So you think I'm nuts? Well you wouldn't be the first. Being a newer teacher, my bag of tricks and lesson plans are still being developed. As I sit here thinking about my forthcoming year, I realize you might need a little nudge, too. I've emptied my bookshelves of older, unused teacher things and have rediscovered some great tools that I have.

"How to Plan Your School Year", published by Evan Moor, and with a suggested retail price of $29.99, is well worth the hefty investment. It covers classroom organization from physical layout to student management and includes handy reference tools for planning your curriculum. For us newer teachers, this is a boon.

It has reproducibles for hall passes, wall displays, student name tags, a calendar, notes home, postcards and ice-breaker activities for your first day. Altogether, it's actually a money saver.

Good luck, and although I'm not saying vacation is over, the little time you spend now will repay you double fold in September.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great reference. I am always looking for a helpful source to aid in organizing a classroom for the beginning of each year. This year will be my 3rd year and I am still changing around what I liked and did not like about last year and the year before. Thanks : )

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading, Jessica.