Thursday, June 19, 2008

Summer: Rituals of Renewal

I've been told that in order to feel like I've gotten anything out of summer, do it early in the season. Otherwise, you'll feel like you've never had a break. Teachers have to develop a nurturing "wall" when set with ten year olds all day. This wall needs rest to maintain. But after a frenzied June, it's sometimes hard to slow down the pace.

You could possibly find your zen in a summer opening ritual. In the past, my children and I have made a train trip to my husband's work in downtown Los Angeles for the joy of trains and for school ending. What would be your signal to the year's end? It has to be something special, just done this time of the year. You are telling your body, your mind and soul that it is time to rejeuvenate. It needs to be more than a long hot shower, less than a trip to Nepal, although if you can afford that trip, I will not stop you!

Here are some ideas, which can adapted to include any children. I have two, so that's always a consideration.

*Jelly Making. Is there a place you can pick the fruit yourself? Or a Farmers Market trip?
*A weekend camping trip to a very special place
*The beach! After collecting shells and driftwood, use them in art project
*Have the tallest, most expensive Banana Split Sundae you can buy (or make)
*Burn your used up pencil stubs and graded papers in the fireplace... or shred them to make recycled paper
*Get a henna tattoo
*Dye your hair
*An early morning (or nighttime) hike with a local group
*Day Spa (duh)
*One really, really nice glass of wine with a good friend
*Make homemade ice cream or juice popsicles and eat while watching a favorite movie

These rituals you can create with your children, if you have them, like I do. They like to be included. Can they help you paint a special "Summer is Here" flag or banner to hang? Can they weave daisy headwreaths with you? Can they plant your summer garden with you? Can they watch the "first sunset on a Monday of no school" with you?

Usually after spending the year with so much noise of children, I'd like to have a day of quiet, but with two children of my own, that's hard to do. So I minimize the noise: we play "Inside, Outside", my children play Inside when I am Outside... etc. Or, I request we have an afternoon of reading time and I am lucky both my children love to read. I have to remember not to "over teach" them during this.

I understand my children cannot be absolutely silent for hours, so I steal moments of quiet from them. I've talked about how Mommy needs her quiet time, and after a few years, they are getting used to it. Better my quiet time than their time out!

Of course, if you have created a Summer Opening Ritual... you should create a Summer Close Ritual... but I will leave that up to you. What are your ideas?

No comments: